How to Really Live

I am not a baby person.  I prefer when I can reason with my kids so they will stop crying.  I like it when they can walk, so I don't have to carry them everywhere.  And, I like my sleep.  But when a friend of mine came over the other day with her little infant, I wasn't prepared for what God told me to do.  Six hours later, I realized what it means to "die to ourselves so we can live".

God made our hearts so that when we give of ourselves to others, He fills us with Himself.  I am learning that I would much rather be filled with God than with myself.  He doesn't get tired, doesn't get irritable, and is full of peace and joy.  Watching that little infant was awesome.  Mom got a break, my kids were thrilled (two of three), and I was able to experience the joy of living out of myself.

"If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it."  Luke 9:23-24  The Message translates it this way "Self-help is no help at all.  Self sacrifice is the way, my way, to finding yourself, your true self."
There's a reason for this commandment from the One who made us - He knows what will bring us true joy, AND what will bring others to Him!  Seeing that (HIS) joy; and being recipients of that (HIS) love.