Consumer Detox

I've been reading this book by Mark Powley lately that I am amazed by.  The quotes are so right on and so deep; I just have to share some of them, so far, since I'm not done and am trying to read it slowly so it doesn't end...

"We tend to think of freedom as the absence of all containment...
We tend to think our happiness increases the more we keep our options open.
But that can't be right.
For many people what is the happiest day of their life?
A wedding.
At a wedding you limit your options to one.
You embrace limitation.
But through that decision a whole world of faithful love opens up."

"If we enter into a relationship like this with God - then there's nothing more to prove to anyone.
Our identity becomes the beginning, the source of what we do, not the fragile prize we're always running after...
We become resistant to consumerism
Begin to love our enemies
and give up the chase for more
because (we) have heard someone whisper - "Even the very hairs of your head are all numbered."

These are Mark's quotes and I don't want to ruin them by now talking about them.
I'm going to eventually finish this great book, and I'll come back with a synopsis, maybe - but for now; I think the reason it's titled Consumer Detox is that when we know we are loved by the God of the Universe, we don't need to go after anything else to make us "happy"...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"