Flattery Will Get You...

Lately, when she wakes up in the morning, my lovely six year old has been bringing me love notes.  They are awesome, and often make me cry.  Examples proudly displayed on the fridge...

This morning she actually came down with a present wrapped in paper that said "Thank you for haveing me".  Inside were 36 marbles; because I was 36 when I had her.  Wow - that got me!  Even though her math was off, it was a way cool thought for her to have.

You might be thinking - awww; what a sweet child.  But wait.  She is either making up for yesterday's exhaustive boxing match, or attempting to build  me up early in the morning, so she can tear me down as the day progresses.

It reminds me of 1 Samuel 15:22:
"Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord?  To obey is better than sacrifice."
As much as I would prefer a smooth ride with her during the day, where she is listening to me happily, and obeying politely, and acknowledging "no" answers readily - That is what God is saying to me;  "To simply obey Me is way better than striving, and attempting to serve Me in ways that I haven't really chosen for you.  Just sit and let Me fill you with Me, then I will take you where I want you to go".

So here's our applicable memory verse for the week:

Proverbs 30:17
"The eye that scorns obedience to a mother,
will be pecked out by the ravens of the valley,
will be eaten by the vultures."

just kidding.