The Fire Alarm

There was a fire alarm at the health club the other day.  Thankfully, it happened right as I was ready to go, so I went to get my daughter from the kids area as people were slowly leaving the building, and they were just sitting there.  "We'll call the front desk and see if it's real", they drearily said.  So they did, and the front desk didn't know, so they begrudgingly decided to get the kids out of the building and started lining them up quite non-hurriedly (if that's a word, add it to my cool adverb collection).

What?  What if it was actually a real fire alarm?  I still don't know if it was, and I left my towel behind in the process, but you have to at least act like it's real - just in case it is.  What could be the harm in that?  There would be way more harm in treating a real fire as it's not real than treating a fake fire as if it's real.

Nicole Nordeman has a pretty cool song about this entitled "What If".  Speaking of Jesus, she sings:

"What if you're right?
And he was just another nice guy
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you.
What if he takes his place in history with all the prophets and the kings
Who taught us love and came in peace
But then the story ends.  What then?


But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
What if you Jump?  And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?  What if it's love?


So the first half of the song is the "false alarm" thinking - that Jesus isn't really God, didn't really rise from the dead, isn't really the only way to heaven.  And those who stake their lives on it are really just fools.
The refrain is living like the fire alarm is real.  We'd better get out of that building asap or it will burn down - we can jump, and trust in the One who will catch us.  We are staking our lives on the Gospel, and live entirely for it.

Which one are you?  Are you living like this is really just a false alarm, and those who think it's real are fools; or are you living like there's a real fire - like Jesus really did mean everything He said.

1 Corinthians 15:19 says "If only for this life we have hope in Christ, we are to be pitied more than all men."  If all I have to lose is a reputation (or a towel) because I was wrong in what I believed, I'm okay with that.  But what if I'm right?  Boy, do I have a lot to gain!!