I Told You So...

It's a forty minute, one-way commute (if there's no traffic).  To a neighborhood where, a year ago, I would have locked my doors.  The parking is free in this part of Chicago.   There is no sign on the door to tell you where you are going,  just a broken awning.  But I ring the bell, the door opens, and I am blessed.
Yesterday, I had the joy of going back to Personal Training.  Something I never thought I'd do again (never say never).
She changed into her "exercise clothes" as soon as she saw me come in.
She was a natural at jumping rope and hula hooping.  She actually wanted to do them longer than the prescribed 1 - 2 minutes because she was having so much fun.  It brought her back to her childhood.  She raced me in bear crawls, crab walks, and step-ups - keeping up with every move, if not ahead of me.    She had one of the best work-ethics I'd seen in a long time, loving the sweat pouring down her face, and beaming the accomplishment grin.
She just turned 20.
And she was homeless.
We all know it's true that money can't buy happiness, or most of us, at least.  But, sometimes the question still remains...

What does buy happiness?

"Don't put your hope in wealth, which is so uncertain, but put your hope in God, who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment."  1 Tim 6:17

"Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?  Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."  Isaiah 55:2

"....if you spend yourselves in behalf of the hungry and satisfy the needs of the oppressed,... then you will find your joy in the LORD..."  Isaiah 58:10, 14)

I could hear God saying, "I told you so"  as I drove home and couldn't get her smile out of my mind.  I still can't.  He is right.  And I know He grins that accomplishment grin when we finally realize this!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"