On Belay

I have been rock climbing (if you can call it that, since it wasn't on an actual rock), twice.  Each time I was amazed at how sturdy I was when I was on belay.  I could climb without fear when I heard those words.

Recently, I feel like I've been living on belay.  God just took away my fear, I guess.  Today, I actually felt like Sandra Bullock in The Blind Side as she went into Michael's old neighborhood.  A lot of people watching the movie were afraid for her, but she was unfazed.  God is allowing me to climb to new heights as He holds me on belay - not looking at the circumstances surrounding me, but the goal.

Joshua 1:9 tells us to "Be strong and courageous... for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."  I noticed that every time that command is given, it is accompanied by the assurance of The Lord's presence.  I think this means that as long as we know that God is with us, we need to be brave in doing what He says.

Another thing I learned about rock climbing, is that the climber is not supposed to ask or nag the belayer as to when they will be ready.  The belayer is simply to announce when the climber is on belay.  So as we wait on God, attentively, He will tell us when it's time to go.  And then, only He knows the heights that  can be reached!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"