Someone's Watching...

Now that it's getting warmer, my girls have been playing soccer outside after dinner as a way to blow off some steam. I finish the dishes and go join them when I'm done, so I take my time (partly because I enjoy the peace and partly because I enjoy hearing them play together).  Usually, before I get out there, someone stomps in in tears blaming another and you know the rest of the story.  So now, they ask me to come out and watch instead of doing dishes;  not so I can see their amazing soccer skills; but partly so I can bust the guilty party, and partly so that the guilty party will not indulge in her guilty behavior.  It works.

One of my favorite bible verses is 2 Chronicle 16:9:  "For the eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth to strengthen those whose hearts are fully committed to him."

The daughter who is guilty probably thinks I'm there to bust her;  while the daughter who is "fully committed to pleasing me" (at the moment), knows I've got her back.
When we are fully committed to pleasing The Lord, look what He does for us - strengthens us!!

It's like the story of the dad and son watching the dog chase his tail - the son asks why, and the dad says, "because he doesn't know he's already got it".  If we're following Jesus, He's watching us and we've got His strength!  When I'm watching the victim daughter play with her sisters, she sees her strength sitting there on the sidelines (I can't play because they almost broke my arm and ankle in the same night) and is comforted.  When we know we have the strength of Christ in us, that brings comfort - and peace - and joy!  It's awesome to know He's not watching us to get us into trouble, but to give us what we need.  We just need to live like we really have that!