God's Mountain bike

I went for a bike ride the other day and took along the only water bottle available.  As I set out, hitting curbs and stuff, the water bottle kept falling out (it wasn't snug enough in the cage).  So, I had to stop, turn around, find it, and put it back.  I re-adjusted my riding technique a little, trying to bump less so it would stop doing this, but by the third time it fell out I gave up and left it there.  It was a free, Park District water bottle, and my ride wasn't too long, so it wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

Then, I put my own head on the water bottle and personalized it as I continued riding.  (Go for it, just imagine, since I can't photoshop)  And, for the next hour, as I rode - God gave me three ideas from this experience...

First, the water bottle was too small so it fell out.  Hebrews 5 talks about anyone who lives on milk will remain an infant - the milk is referring to what new believers need to live on; other people feeding them the truths of God's word.  But, in order to grow, we need solid foods - being able to feed ourselves.  Studying and chewing on the word of God on our own makes us mature...  Bigger water bottles that fit better in the cage of God's Mountain bike, so we don't fall out!

Second, no matter how many times we fall out of the cage, God will always stop and go back and pick us up.  No matter how much of a pain it is!  He promises that to us.
"Never will I leave you.  Never will I forsake you."  Hebrews 13:5

Third, another verse from Hebrews hammered the main point;  "We who have run for our very lives to God have every reason to grab the promised hope with both hands and never let go.  It's an unbreakable spiritual lifeline"  Hebrews 6:18-19 MSG
When we grab on to God, with both hands, it doesn't allow us a free hand to grab hold of anything else.      If we grasp the cage of His Mountain bike securely, and never let go - He can take us on some amazing rides!  He will know we're in it for the adventure, willing to go wherever He wants to take us - and He promises us, it will be worth the risk!

Since it is 4th of July, there's one more thing.
Some things we DO need to be freed from, so Happy Independence Day!  Be thankful to those who purchased your freedom!
But...
In God's Kingdom, independence gets us looking like a banged up water bottle on the side of the road. When we are dependent on God, we can fly - he may even upgrade the mountain bike for a motorcycle !