The Ultimate Road Trip Tag

Most of my "tag" experiences involved cars that I would see on the highway while on a road trip who were going equally as fast as I was.  It was nice to just get right behind them so they'd be the ones getting pulled over, or so I didn't really have to look at my speedometer, and I could just rest and go.  If you lost your tag because they were low on gas, or if they got to their destination before you did, eventually you would find another, but this is not the kind of tag I'm talking about.

Last year (and I don't know if this qualifies as a "tag" since it was planned, but I'm calling it that), I had the luxury of following a friend all over Germany.  I had a bum GPS in my car, and three kids, so following someone was a huge stress-relief.  At one point, however, she got off the autobahn VERY fast, I only had a split second to decide what to do, and I kept on the highway - I kept going my way (insert d_ _ b).  Why?  I do not know, and I will never do it again, but that was my natural instinct.  Several hours later, we did hook up at our destination town, but it was several hours of unrest (stated mildly) before that - Foreign country, three girls, broken GPS...  you got the picture.

Needless to say, now, if I know who my tag is and their destination is the same as mine, I will follow them wherever they take me - no matter what my own map says.  It happened yesterday, and because I had made that mistake in Germany, I did not make it again.  
Proverbs 14:12 says "there is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death."  
This, actually, may have been the case.  She missed her exit, I followed, she circled back eventually to get on it and we passed a fresh accident...
When it comes down to our plans or Gods - ditch our map and go with His - He knows what the end looks like.  We do not!  Even though we often think we do.

Sometimes your tag speeds way up to pass someone on a 2 lane road - if you don't go, you lose your tag, if you do go, it's exhilarating!   God likes to take us on adventures like that, too!
John 8:12 says "whoever follows me will never walk in darkness."  When we lose our tag, we feel lost.  Dark.  When we follow Jesus, He promises to keep our path lit, and exciting.  We can rest when we see the One we are following; we don't really have to think.  We have given them the responsibility for the outcome.  It's not our fault if we get lost, they led us there.  And, God actually wants that responsibility.  He asks us to follow Him wholeheartedly, and He promises us a land of milk and honey - it started way back in Genesis!

So, what does it look like when God leads?  He guided His people by cloud in the day, and fire by night back in Exodus. In Isaiah He says "Whether you turn to the right or the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you saying this is the way, walk in it."  And now, He gives us His Holy Spirit - directly in our hearts, to guide us, helping us with every decision.  It's up to us to listen to Him.

Finally - one thing I had to do was fight for my spot.  Sometimes people would want to budge in between me and my tag.  If that happened, it allowed for more people to get in, and eventually I lost sight of her.  If I kept close, but not too close, I could stick with her.  God wants us to fight fiercely for His leadership in our lives.  He is a jealous God.  He doesn't want anyone else competing for our hearts.  Stay close to Him, don't let anyone or anything get in the way of you and the One who made you for Himself, and loves you more than you will ever know!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"