What Do You Want More?

I want a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited - Red.
It's been sneaking up in my head for the last week or so, and they are now parked or driving by wherever I am.  I even took one out for a spin the other day, in hopes that that would curtail my desire - dumb move.
Then I took the dog for his morning walk.

It had rained a lot the night before and I walked past a very cool flow of water through a what used to be flooded area.  It had been made into some sort of a ravine for drainage.  It even funneled into a big pipe that was built under several driveways to keep the flow going in the right direction.
God told me - that's what my spirit looks like in people who don't fill themselves up with the things of this world.
Ouch... Okay, I got it.  So, if I were to fill myself up with, let's say, a jeep, the flow would stop and there would be a blockage?
Yep.  He said.

Not a minute later, I gave Him the Jeep.  He took it.  Then He showed me one of my friends who really needs some prayer and encouragement right now and I was able to hear Him and intercede.

"Those who cling to worthless idols forfeit the grace that could be theirs"  Jonah 2:8


"The true gospel is a call to self denial.  Not a call to self-fulfillment"  - John MacArthur

"To step with Jesus into the path of self-denial immediately breaks the iron-clad grip of sin over human personality and opens the way to a fuller and even fuller restoration of radical goodness to the soul."    - Dallas Willard


I got home, feeling free as a bird, and picked up a book that a friend gave me just a few days ago called Kisses From Katie.  It is about Katie Davis, who at 18, went on a missions trip to Uganda and ended up staying for good - and adopting more than thirteen girls there.  She is very cool and I wrote about her several months ago.  This is what the back of the book says:

"Sometimes I want to spend hours talking with my best friends about boys and fashion and school and life.  I want to go to the gym; I want my hair to look nice; I want to be allowed to wear jeans.  I want to be a normal young woman living in America, sometimes.  
BUT I want other things more.  ALL the time, I want to be spiritually and emotionally filled every day... I want to be challenged endlessly...  I want to share God's love with people who otherwise might not know it."


In other words, sometimes I want a cool car to drive around in and feel the wind in my hair, I want to be able to drive over big snow banks, and take my dog for fun rides.  BUT, I want other things more.  I want to be able to drive my kids friends where they need to go - comfortably and safely, as many as needed.  I want to not to make my kids clean the garage every day so I can put my car in.  And, I want to be able to drive to the homeless shelters in Chicago not having to worry about keeping my cute little car safe...

The weird thing is, I had been working on writing about self-denial for the past week.  I was even saying that allowing ourselves to be empty so there is room to be filled with God is way more appealing than filling ourselves with stuff that we think will make us happy.  Maybe God was just trying to help me get a nice, tangible example...