For My Married Friends

I heard on the radio that married women are beginning to learn from their married-no-longer friends about, what else... marriage!  It kinda makes sense.  Like the orthopaedic surgeon who wears knee braces to ski, even though he's never torn his ACL, we can learn from the mistakes/blunders/failures of others.  They often know what doesn't work, and will advise against those things.  So, here goes.

I found "Leave It To Beaver" on TV, and watched it with my daughter, I was pretty baffled at how marriage, rather, family life, has changed.  Yes, it is TV, but I understand it to be a decent representation of how families were.  Correct me if I'm wrong, or just go with it.
Here's what I saw:

Wally advising June on how to parent the Beave.

Ward and June leaving in the middle of the day to go to the grocery store, together.

Wally showing up well after school was over because he had a baseball game, and June and Ward didn't even know about it.

June and Ward had no idea where the boys were half the time.

I'm not discussing June's dress code.

Ward, always home for dinner, never brought business home with him, whatever that was...

My aunt and I were chatting the other day about how much more parents play with their kids now-a-days, rather than when she was a young mom.  She was complimenting that, as most people of that generation do.  BUT, and it's a big "but", it's not working.

Yes, we're playing more with our kids, but half of our marriages are ending.  Which leads me to believe, being so much more involved in the lives of our kids may not be such a good thing.  Who will you be with for the rest of your life?  Who will be with you when your kids graduate high school and leave?  Who are you going to be hanging out with when your kids get a social life?  Who should take care of you when you're sick?

While it looks like June and Ward were really neglectful in their parenting, they didn't neglect each other.  While I did not see them go out for many date nights, they hung out in the kitchen or in the living room chatting up a storm.  Heck, they even went upstairs to wake up the boys together!  They left Wally and The Beave to figure things out on their own (some might argue, too often).  While we don't see if they ended up as dysfunctional people themselves, they seem to make pretty good decisions on their own, or, at least, learn from their mistakes.  Eddie Haskel's mom probably hung out with him a lot more than her husband.

According to Scripture, a parent's job is to teach, discipline, and guide.  A spouse's job involves love, respect, cleansing, uniting, submitting, and giving up yourself for them.  It seems that today, this list is played out a little backwards.

Yes, there are faults to the Cleaver-style of parenting, for sure - I'm not saying they are the go-to model.  My point is just this;  Who are you playing with more?  Who are you giving yourself up for?  Wally and Beaver didn't need as much involvement as we do today because they had stability at home.  The best thing you can do for your kids is to love your spouse!  Happy Friday, friends.