Summer Field Trips - Part II

I have a new favorite book.
I have been wrecked by it (in a good way) - The Irresistible Revolution, by Shane Claiborne.  If you aren't familiar with him, you might want to check it out.  In this book, he portrays the life of an 'ordinary radical' that is actually quite appealing to me.
In my experiences with the poor, his words are ringing very clearly.

Here are a few:

"I long for the Calcutta slums to meet the Chicago Suburbs - 
for lepers to meet landowners and for each to see God's image in the other...
I truly believe that when the poor meet the rich, riches will have no meaning.
And when the rich meet the poor, we will see poverty come to an end."

"Don't choose issues, choose people -
Fall in love with a group of people who are marginalized and suffering, and then you won't have to worry about which cause you need to protest.  
Then the issues will choose you."

I took my youngest to "work" with me on Thursday again.  This is something I really wish I did with the older two, but it wasn't a priority to me then - it is now.  I'm thrilled with what God is doing in her heart.  We couldn't get in to our original building, so we drove around a bit and she said "why don't we just do some random acts of kindness?" - Who was this child?  Seriously, did that just come out of her mouth?  I'm holding that one in my heart the next time she screams at me for not letting her have dessert.

When we did arrive at the building that our ladies had moved to that day because of a power outage in their original spot, we had no weights, so they used my 65 lb daughter on their backs - their sweaty backs - and she didn't care!  She was actually thrilled.  The one who forces me away from her when I get home from riding my bike was joyfully hugging these 'glistening' women.

I have started to fall in love with a group of people who are marginalized and suffering and the issues are choosing me.
This is as close as I can get to the Calcutta slums, and I love it.
I am learning that Katie Davis isn't so odd for living in Uganda and adopting fourteen girls - she has just been converted.
I am realizing that loving others is something that is more Christian than excluding a people group. Hopefully, as we come together, riches will have no meaning. Hopefully, poverty will eventually come to an end, and maybe we could have something to do with that.