King David Vs. Honey Boo Boo

Walking my dog the other morning, we came across two very different women.  The first shrieked in fear when he slowly approached her for a sniff.  I quickly pulled him away, though he knew he wasn't wanted anyway, and then I kinda chuckled.  I was perplexed at how someone could be scared of this goofy looking gullump.  But, it was dark, and she had headphones on, so I'll give her that.

About 20 minutes later, another one passed, stating how beautiful he was.  He proudly pursued her, tail wagging high, looking at me as if to say - come on, let's get closer to her - she thinks I'm beautiful!
(I don't think male dogs are offended by the word "beautiful", I think they really know it's a good thing).  He couldn't keep his eyes off her, and if I were wearing roller blades, I would have had a nice ride.

We are made the same way.
We follow (aim to please, pursue to reach a goal) those who tell us we're beautiful.

Okay - now we'll get into the title;  I have a confession to make.  I watched Honey Boo Boo this week.  I also have a vow to make.  I will never do it again.  I am not a fan of those shows at all, mainly because they are obsessed with promoting outward beauty.


Psalm 45:11  says this:
The king is enthralled by your beauty; 
honor him, for he is your lord."

If we follow those who tell us we're beautiful, the question is, who are you listening to?
If we are listening to man, beauty actually moves outside onto our skin and we become prideful and high maintenance.  If we are listening to God, our beauty deepens, humility grows, we are more low-maintenance (way more enjoyable to be around). 


1 Samuel 16:7b says "The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart."

This is where David comes in.  He knew this.  God called him a man after His own heart!  He was beautiful to God because He listened to what God said of him.  The King (Ps. 45) becomes enthralled by our beauty when He sees Himself in our hearts.

As for the other little lady; she, and several others, seem to be consumed in what the world thinks of them.  And, "beautiful" is actually a way better fit for a man (or my dog) in this challenge.  When Honey meets Jesus, now that will be beautiful!