Living Wide Awake!

I bit the bullet.
Signed us up for a family serving trip to Costa Rica - and I can't wait!
One of my daughters (I'll let you guess), even told me that this is what she's always "dreamed about doing".  Maybe I should just leave her there.  (kidding)

The dream comment is big though.  I just finished Erwin McManus' book, Wide Awake.  It took me a while because I didn't want to read it at night since it was so motivating I didn't think I'd be able to sleep.  In it, he says that our dreams - the ones we dream while awake, are God's visions for us.  The things He puts in our hearts that He has designed for us to do.

"Our dreams are where the future is fueled and created."

So, when I heard the message at church last week, and 5% of it was about getting your kids out of their comfort zone to see what the majority of the world lives like, I grabbed that, or, God grabbed it for me, and wouldn't let it out of my head until I did something about it.

I figured someone would report me if I just took them to Haiti on my own, so, of course, God saved us the last spot on the family service overseas trip with our church. Woo whoo!

So, I guess my point in writing this is - read the book, but beware!  It just might get you to do something crazy, but it sure feels awesome when the crazy thing is something God is telling us to do.  Here are some writing samples that just might whet your whistle...

"Your dreams are a foretaste of the life you can have and the person you can become.  But before you'll ever live those dreams, you have to discover a dream worth living.  That's why God is so essential to this journey and why Jesus has come for us.  Long before you took your first breath, you were a dream - a dream in the mind of the one who made you.  He saw you before you were created, and he alone knows the full extent of your creative potential."

"While some dream to escape life; you dream to live."

"To live wide awake 
is to take responsibility 
for who you are 
and 
all the talent and potential that resides within you.  
To live an awakened life 
you must have a sense of urgency 
fueled by passion 
and 
the courage to take initiative."

Now, you know why I didn't read this at night.
I have so much underlined, so many pages folded, I don't want to put this book on the shelf, and neither will you.  I want it to spur me on to follow the dreams God gives me, and act on them, because that's what gets the blood flowing from the heart that was designed by the Master Creator to fully live!


Comments

  1. Awesome! I never heard back about the Haiti group but it sounds like you've got a good thing going now! Can't wait to hear all about it!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"