2022

The question came up at the dinner table this weekend:  "What will you be doing ten years from now?"
One said - "I will be driving!"
Another said - "I think, maybe, I'll be in college, right?"
And the other said - "I don't know, I don't want to think that far, finishing college, I guess..."
As I was thinking about my answer while listening to theirs, my grin turned around because I hadn't thought about this one before, and I was baffled.  "I will be fifty and at home with my young driver."

I wanted a better answer.

Ten years didn't sound like that much at first.  Then I went backwards and realized that it really is a long time:
Ten years ago, I was a stay-at-home mom with an almost three year old, and a two month old.  I was happy with two girls, and would've gotten the surgery to firm that up had the option been there in the delivery room.  I would have said something like, "ten years from now, I will have an almost teenager and a ten year old, and I will be training for triathlons all day long while they are in school."

I never would have dreamed that I would have a face full of dimples greeting me at 6:30 am every day 

Or, that I would have an awesome large dog who would be the man of the house

That I would enjoy a good cup of hot tea over a bottle of Pale Ale 

That I would rather stay home and read a book than go out at night 

That I would no longer be comforted by Chubby Hubby Ice Cream, but by a song called "10,000 Reasons"

Or, that I would rather be hanging out at a homeless shelter than swimming, biking or running.  

I wanted a better vision of what my life would look like when I am fifty.
I sat on that for a couple days, then I realized that I don't.

I don't want to be able to know what I will be doing in ten years because I don't want to limit God.  I want to put my whole life in His hands to do whatever He wants to do because He has shown me that His plans for me are way bigger and cooler than my own.   So now, I'm living expectantly about the next ten years, and as I go into my Monday, I am pretty jacked about that!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"