Over-Exposed?

I've been reading a book called One Month To Live, by Kerry and Chris Shook.  My kids saw the title and said "how sad", but it's not - it's exciting.  The subtitle is "thirty days to a no-regrets life".

The idea is that if you only had one month left to live, how would you make every day that you had really, really matter?  The authors are encouraging us to live lives of passion, living out our dreams, forgiveness, thankfulness, integrity, risk, and authenticity.

After my last post, I was feeling a bit exposed.  It's amazing how people can put signs in their yards or bumper stickers on their cars, but when I lay out my thoughts,(and re-worded a few afterwards to clarify a little), it felt as if I were showing too much.  Then I read a chapter from this book today that made me feel a little better entitled: "Last Call".  The first quote is by Tim Keller:

"Say what you want to say 
when you have the feeling and the chance.
My deepest regrets are the things I did not do,
the opportunities missed and the things unsaid."
(Guess I won't have that problem.)

Here are some more lines from the book that helped ease the pain of possible over-exposure:

We have to risk vulnerability to the point of possible rejection. 
Been there, done that.  Yes, I often wear my heart on my sleeve, but at least you know what you're getting in to.  I think it's easier than hiding.  The more honest you are, the less you have to remember, right?

We have to know how to take off our armor so we can connect with others...  and to be willing to risk our hearts and reveal who we really are.
When we drop our shield, our true selves are displayed.  One of my very first posts was titled "Naked", and it was about the freedom that exists when armor is dropped - so, I guess, this is where I was headed all along.

So, out of the thirty chapters, I've got one covered.  And, I'm starting to think that it's good.  Discussion on deep stuff is avoided.  Most people are afraid of it because when someone disagrees with us, our pride gets in the way and we want to argue rather than discuss.

I think it's a pretty cool idea to live like we're dying.  Maybe with the exception of getting rid of all your belongings and making sure someone will take over your parental responsibilities.  I don't think I'd go climb any more mountains in these thirty days (but I'm glad I did).  I think I'd pour into my kids like crazy, making sure they know everything I could possibly teach them, but especially LOVE.  I don't think I'd read any more books.  I'd write a lot - while my kids are sleeping, instead of while they're trying to play with me.  I think the stratosphere sky-diving that the Austrian dude is gearing up for would be pretty cool, but with thirty days, I don't want to waste so much of it floating in the sky by myself.  I would pray like crazy for my friends and loved ones.

The Script wrote a song called "Live Like We're Dying".  I just heard it while walking around in a store this weekend, and never realized that it means the same thing as this book.  Kris Allen, from American Idol sang it, so it's escalated a bit.  In it they say "Sometimes we hide behind skin that's too tough".  Sloughing off tough skin and dropping armor are synonymous.  They both lead to freedom and a new re-juvinated spirit to live like we're dying!




Comments

  1. Glad you're over it. We make silence say so much, when often it's just quiet contemplating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"