Using the "F" Word As A Christian

I don't swear.  Anymore.
At one point in my life, as a sophomore in high school, when I was dating a bad boy who had a potty mouth, I, of course copied him because he was cute.
Now, it's a turn off.
EXCEPT on Fridays, when I'm cleaning the house while the kids are in school and turn on Pandora radio super loud (so I can hear over the vacuum) to Mumford and Sons, and "Little Lion Man" comes on.
I love that song - and I love singing the whole thing - even the "F" word in it!  (when no one's listening)
And I don't feel any guilt when it releases itself from my lips.
I had to figure out why.
There's actually no parental advisory on it, either.
If you haven't heard it, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLJf9qJHR3E

Then, the other day, when my girls had been beefing and were sent to sit on the stairs together to discuss what they had each done wrong and what they could have done differently, it came to me.  Rather than blaming each other (which is always easier), I would actually like them to sing the chorus of this song to each other.

"But it was not your fault, but mine,
and it was your heart on the line,
I really f-ed it up this time,
didn't I, my dear..."

They say one of the hardest things to do is admit when you are wrong.
When we stop pointing the finger at the other person, we take responsibility, we no longer give them the power to control our happiness.
I think a lot of marriages would experience the power of forgiveness, friendships would be restored, and I also think our kids need to hear us admit when we're wrong, too.  I could sing this to my kids after yelling when I shouldn't have, or forgetting to pick them up from soccer...

Don't worry, I'm not teaching this phrase to my kids, though it would be nice to hear every once in a while - maybe in twenty years.

King David would have totally sang this to God after his Bathsheba and Uriah incidents!  He says it in Psalm 51:4, "Against you, you only, have I sinned and done what is evil in your sight."

If we did this - it would be revolutionary.

I think this phrase appeals to people because of the vulgarity in it - while it forces us to humble ourselves at the same time.  For some, I think it would be easier to apologize this way because of the word involved, and admit when we've hurt someone's heart.  For others, it would be easier without the word.  At least with the passion they display in singing it - you know it's genuine.  Not just a lame  "sorry, now can I get off the stairs."

But when we confess like this before the One who made us...

"Count yourself lucky - you get a fresh start,  your slate's wiped clean
God holds nothing against you
and you're holding nothing back from Him.
When I kept it (my sin) all inside
my bones turned to powder...
The pressure never let up...
Then I let it all out;  I said
"I'll make a clean breast of my failures to God."
Suddenly the pressure was gone - 
my guilt dissolved,
my sin disappeared."
Psalm 32:1-5 (MSG)

Chains are broken and we are free!  And we can then sing a different song...  "Amazing Grace".



Comments

  1. I like the 'f' word...I like to swear. I know that is terrible. When growing up we had to watch everything. Was born catholic, then we all got saved and parents were/are holy rollers. So, lots of guilt and thinking about everything one does and your motives. Hence as an adult it was/is freeing to swear. I blame it on the little Italian that is in me. I am sure that I need to stop it..and I am not a swear box but it does come out easier than it should.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"