Parenting Christmas Lights

Yep - you read that right.  I think there's a major parallel here between kids and Christmas lights.

As I was putting them up, I came across some tangles - of course.  The harder I pulled, the tighter they became.  And, then it was even harder to untangle them.  Only if I gently, slowly, looked for where the knot started, and carefully undid it, did it come clean nicely.

You see it, don't you?

Last night, after I asked my daughter to clean up her lego wrapper mess on the chairs in the dining room, I saw her start to climb on top of the table.  Putting Scream Free Parenting aside, I took her head off - she began to sob majorly and then replied back in a very sad manner;  "I was getting your trash, too, that's in the middle of the table."
 Oops.
Don't you hate it when that happens?
It took her a while to calm down, lots of back-rubbing and apologizing on my part.
It would have been way easier if I had waited to see what she was doing before I decided to blow up.  We probably could have avoided the whole thirty minute quieting scene that followed the explosion.

Message:  Don't pull hard when trying to untangle - look for where the knot is, and gently, slowly, unravel - or, just wait and let it come out all on it's own.  And, if you pull too hard - you just might break the lights.