CIRCUMCISED

I am not married and I have no sons, so this is not a visual for me, and I'm sorry if you are distracted by that in your own head.  Go ahead and get it out because I'm talking about circumcision of the heart.


As I dropped my girls off at school the other day, one of the teachers looked in the car and said:  "No baby today?"  I told her that the previous ones were back with mom and there would probably be another one soon.  To which she replied "you must really like doing that".
That struck me.  Notsomuch.

Anyone who knows me would tell you that I'm not a baby person.
When people come over with their babies, or we bring a meal to someone or visit someone who had a baby, I am not the type to ask to hold it.  I'm really just glad it's not mine and I get to leave soon.
I don't volunteer too much in the kids ministry at church because that's really not one of my favorite things to do.  I figure I've got enough time with kids in my own home, that's plenty.  I'll hang with and serve the adults.  (However, when I do serve with the kids, I always enjoy it - hate when God does that.)

Back to the statement that was made:  I'm not doing this because I really like it;
I'm doing it because I like what it is doing to me.  

Each child we have through Safe Families, God uses to circumcise my heart.
He promises that He will do that to us in Deuteronomy 30:6:
"God, your God, will cut away the thick calluses on your heart and your children's hearts, freeing you to love God, your God, with your whole heart and soul and live, REALLY LIVE!"
(Message translation)

In bible study last week as we heard Beth Moore, she was talking about how she'd never pray to be broken or ask to be broken, but when she is broken, it ends up being a really good thing.
She's right.  When we are broken, we can be used by God.  I think broken and circumcision mean the same thing.  They are both painful at the time because they are cutting away/breaking off, the things that we hold onto (whether we know it or not) that are actually weighing us down from living the life God planned for us to live!

Jesus was broken bread and poured out wine for us.  And as we are broken, in our case, in spirit - when I'm down to no strength of my own, that's when God uses me for the sake of others.  And, I can actually REALLY love these children!  I think with each child that comes in our home, a piece of my flesh is removed.  The Spirit grows where the flesh comes off and I become less selfish.  A cool visual I just read about is that the bread with a hard crust can't soak up the wine, but when it is broken into pieces, it can.  I am seeing this happen with my time that I use to want all to myself; I am WANTING to spend it on others, the blood of Christ is soaking in.  It's not law anymore.  It's desire!

"In Him (Christ) you were also circumcised, in the putting off of the sinful nature, not with a circumcision done by the hands of men, but with a circumcision done by Christ..."
Col. 2:11

So far, each little child that enters our home seems to be a flint knife.  And I don't think it makes me a masochist to say that I love it because the hurt is making something I never dreamed of - a desire to really follow hard after the God who is wooing me to Himself, and has been for my entire life though I didn't always know it.

Just this morning, as I was consoling my own hurting child, I told her I loved her, and instead of responding with, I love you, too, she said, "I know".   That's what I want.  That's what I'd rather hear.  Because it's when she knows she is loved, that she can go out with confidence in who she is.  And that's what God wants from us - He wants us to know how much He loves us.  The more we allow the work of His flint knife to carve away the other stuff, the more clearly we can hear Him - and live in that love!