Running Barefoot in the Snow

I bit the bullet and got a hot tub as a Christmas present for myself and my girls.

Totally uncharacteristic of my frugal self, but worth every penny.  I am a Florida girl and living in the midwest.  I have circulation issues now where half of my fingers remain white for a while when it's cold out.  I'm always wearing hats and coats - even in the house.  And I've taken a liking to hot tea, simply because of what it does for my inside.

Another reason is that my oldest daughter seems to dislike anything younger than her living in our home at the time (related or non), so she often plans her social get-togethers away from home.  Wii is no longer a draw when you're a teenager (for girls), the trampoline is filled with snow, and we do not have a sixty inch flatscreen in the basement, so I had no other choice but to get what none of her friends have and lure them over to our warm, quiet, outside!

When my middle daughter had a friend over the other day to take a plunge, she looked at her like she was crazy.  "What? You just run out there in your bathing suit barefoot and jump in?"  To which my daughter wisely replied, "Yep!"  They did it, and loved every minute.  It was worth the snowy, frozen feet, and now they will do it over and over.

Since it's the Christmas season, a sermon that I heard recently was about Jesus leaving His home in glory to come to live on earth for a time.  He left heaven!  For us!  I know it's not totally theologically sound, but I think the parallel works:  Jesus, sitting at the right hand of His Father in heaven (hot tub), hears the words, "It's time".  To which He replies; "I really don't want to get out of this warm, cozy water with you and go out there in the freezing, gross, world, but it's not up to me - it's your plan, so, here we go!"  And with that, He jumps out of the hot tub and runs around in the snow - barefoot - for thirty-three years!  And He doesn't just "run around" - He walks - purposefully!  Sure, Satan offers Him boots, coats, and gloves, but He denies them all.  Why?  Because if He took them, He wouldn't be able to bring any of us back with Him into glory (hot tub)!  And He wants us with Him in there!  He knows this world is not His home.  He knows His home is so much warmer and more comfortable and peaceful, where He has all He will ever need.  And, if we get rid of our hats, coats, and gloves, immerse ourselves in the waters of baptism (dying to our old self and finding our real life!) - we can run barefoot in the snow on that path that leads to that amazingly glorious hot tub, too!

Ecclesiastes 3 says that God "has also set eternity in the hearts of men", and in Luke 24:32, some of the disciples said of Jesus, "were not our hearts burning within us while he talked with us...".  So, we have this idea of life in a hot tub in us, God placed it there to remind us that what we are living in is not our home.  And as we live a life talking with Jesus, He warms us up, reminding us of this hope, that He is with us and He wants to bring us home with Him, which is why He came here in the first place!

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us.  Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him, endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."  
Hebrews 12:1-2


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Building Walls or Bridges?

Scandalous Grace: Some Thoughts about Good Friday.

The School of "The Other"