What Happens When You Don't Go To Church on Palm Sunday?

...  The same thing that happens when Jesus heals on the Sabbath - there is opportunity for God to be glorified by showing that love is bigger than the law!

Yes.  We did it.  We skipped church in lieu of a soccer tournament on Palm Sunday.  And you know what?  I don't feel guilty  (warning:  been reading lots of Junie B. Jones, lately - it may show).  Ever since Easter happened, we are no longer under law, but under GRACE!  And it is AWESOME!
(The one guy who did go find a mass to attend in between games swore at the ref, and that is pretty much what Jesus was condemning the Pharisees for)

It also makes me a little more intentional, in a good way, to make up for it and immerse my kids in what happened during Holy Week - and throughout the entire Scriptures for that matter.  The whole sacrificial lamb idea started in Genesis, when God told Abraham that He would provide a sacrificial lamb.  I'm pretty jacked to remind them of that this week during dinner.  We spent a lot of time talking about Passover last night and how we, as Christians, can celebrate that just as much as our Jewish friends.

But also this week, I'm getting lamb butter.

We talked about the blood from the sacrificial lamb that was spread on the door frames of the Israelite's homes so that they would be spared by the angel of death.  Now, I get to teach them about the real sacrificial lamb.  Instead of using blood, I'm gonna use butter.  My kids are not big fans of wine, blood, or grape juice (though that will be there for the lesson plan on soaking up).  They are, however, huge fans of butter.  And, they are huge fans of bread.  When they get their own mini bread roll with a crusty shell, and their own mini lamb butter, I think they will be pretty pumped to break and spread.

Background - we've been going through some brokenness in our home.  I've seen some (lots) of repercussions of a "broken home" going on in the hearts of the little ones God has given me to raise, lately.  I'm also feeling broken because I am not the perfect parent who has kids who are all hunky dory after a divorce.

BUT - when we are broken, there is opportunity!  When we are broken, we have more soft inner bread exposed that can soak up the blood.  The blood of the lamb.  We can either get broken by things that happen to us, or we can break ourselves as we surrender our own desires for those of others.  Neither of which are done by God, but both of which can be used by God - big time!

When my kids take their knives and cut that little precious butter lamb, they are going to realize that He can't be used to fill us and cover us unless He is broken.  They will realize that each one of us breaks Him. They will realize that He innocently stayed there taking it all because He Loves Us.  And, they will realize that the more their bread is broken, the more butter they get on each piece.

It's hard to be thankful for brokenness.  It hurts.  But, if we let Him, He can fill us with His blood and give us His peace, and cover us all over with His butter, richly adorning us.  Let's grasp this!  Let's teach our kids that Jesus can fill every hole caused by hurts from bullies, parents, and anything else.  And, He can make us perfect as we let Him cover us in His righteousness, even the broken parents.

The more I see where I mess up, the more I understand and LOVE grace!  Which is good, because we have hockey and dance on Good Friday, and it will give me another opportunity to show that love is bigger than law.