Moving From Judgment to Awe

I am currently reading Greg Boyle's latest book, Barking to the Choir.
I rarely purchase a book right after it has been released (I take full advantage of our amazing library, even after I have completed the picture-book stage), but I couldn't help it with this one - I love him!  I was intrigued with the title as I had no idea what it meant until he explained it - with excellent humor to boot.  I'm not going to ruin the book for you by attempting to make you laugh like he does (I will fail), but I will tell you that the Choir that he is referring to is basically the Church.  And we need to be barked at.

I'm actually writing a book on this very topic.  He explains it differently than I am going to, and since I am not done reading it yet, I'll take it from an early chapter:  WE NEED TO MOVE FROM JUDGMENT TO AWE.  He is referring to how we judge the tattooed gang-member before seeking to know him by understanding his story allowing us to develop a "radical kinship".  Once we take the time to do this, we will soon be in awe of where he is now, instead of judging him.  As for my book, it explains how my relationship with an incarcerated sex-offender has actually helped me to discover this truth as well.  I have learned the joy in moving from a self-righteous judgmental perspective, to one who utilizes eyes of grace and mercy, which precede awe.  I will attempt to explain this general concept better below.

My good friend who volunteers with me for Safe Families for Children, told me the other day, after spending some very emotional time with a new parent who was in a  desperate enough situation to place her children in the home of a stranger, "placing parents are the bravest people I know".  That's not the view that is natural.  A lot of people judge them for not being able to take care of the kids that they gave birth to - and they sense this judgment, which is why it is so hard for a lot of them to come to Safe Families.  My friend, however, because she has taken the time to get to know so many of these moms, has learned to look through the eyes of grace and discover awe.  She has taken the time to learn that there is a story behind every one's choices, and if we take the time to hear it, we understand why.  My friend has discovered the joy of moving out of the judgment seat.  She knows she doesn't want to be judged - she is filled with awe for Jesus - she absolutely loves grace, and this overflows from her soul.

"Just as I Am" by Matt Maher is an amazing song to get lost in, fill us to overflowing, and help us to better understand this concept:
http://vevo.ly/3qHCdG
In shackles and chains, I came to Your door
And fell on the floor of mercy
Guilty I stood, guilty I was
I couldn't hide my shame

Just as I am, just as I am

Jesus, You welcomed me, You took me in
I'll never be the same again
My life held in Your hands
Just as I am

I've got to believe that if we are going to be like Jesus, we are going to welcome those with shackles and chains, shame and guilt.  Why?  Because we are no different and this is what He does for us.  He welcomes us JUST AS WE ARE.  If we let this concept soak in, how can we do the opposite to others?  As we grow in awareness of the burden that Jesus carried for us, and how He even told the thief on the cross next to him that he would be in paradise with Him (Luke 23:43), we can grow in awareness of the burden that the tattooed gang member, and even the sex-offender, carries.

This Christmas, as the lights on our homes signal to the world that anyone who goes by is welcome there, let's do that with our hearts as well.  Joan Chittister calls it "Hospitality of the heart" - the real mark of Christmas People - where we exude an aura that everyone we encounter is welcome here.

Comments